Checklist to Help Your Moving Day Be Successful
Before Moving Day
- Change of address given to post office.
- Bank - Transfer funds, arrange check cashing in new city, order checks with new address.
- Address change to all investment companies and banks that have your money.
- Address change to all credit card and department store charge accounts.
- Change address for magazine subscriptions.
- Notify relatives, friends, employer, parents of children you are listed as an emergency contact for.
- Change newspaper subscriptions.
- Auto insurance and auto club adjusted for new address.
- Health insurance coverage.
- Life insurance.
- Home owners insurance (old and new)
- Telephone company. Get refund of any deposit.
- Gas and Electric company. Get refunds of any deposits.
- Water company. (old and new)
- Trash collecion companies. (old and new)
- New doctor, dentist, veterinarian (ask for referals)
- Pet vaccinations and license for new location.
- Make arrangements to move pets.
- Check with the Agriculture Department of new home area to see if they have restrictions on plants.
- Many items such as copiers and printers require the normally moving parts to be screwed into a fixed position for transport.
- Clean rugs and clothing before moving. Have them wrapped.
- Return cable TV boxes, cancel subscription.
- Return all video rentals and cancel membership if appropriate.
- Return all library books.
- Retrieve all laundry from dry cleaners.
- Empty freezer, plan food consumption.
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator. Unplug and prop doors slightly open to prevent odors.
On Moving Day
- Carry enough cash or traveler's checks to cover the cost of moving services and other expenses until you are able to use
your chosen bank in the new area.
- Carry jewelry and important documents yourself, or use registered mail.
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves to be sure they are empty.
- Leave old keys, garage door openers, instruction manuals, and house plans with your real estate agent.
At Your New Home
- Check utilities: gas, electricity, water, telephone, and garbage collection.
- Check pilot lights for water heater and furnace.
- Retrieve any mail being held at post office.
- Promptly register your cars with Department of Motor Vehicles if moving to new state. Avoid penalties.
- Have new address recorded on driver's license and car registration.
- Register to vote.
- Register children in school.
- Apply for state drivers license if necessary.
- Check local chamber of commerce to see if they have &new resident& discount packages.
Call Juliana... Start packing!