Second Dwelling - Granny Cottage
Often a homeowner will want to have housing for an extended family member, a care-giver, or even just a renter. Some cities allow a second dwelling unit to be built on the property if it meets a number of requirements.
Typical Requirements for a Second Dwelling
- Lot must be over 8,000 square feet.
- Maximum size is 900 square feet.
- Maximum height is 17' (must be single story).
- Must be located 12' from the main dwelling.
- Must be located within the property setbacks.
- Must have two parking spaces, one of them covered.
- Must share the driveway with the main dwelling.
- The building counts towards the maximum allowed floor space and lot coverage.
The city of Palo Alto currently posts its requirements online at http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/civicax/filebank/documents/8569